Make Latin the Language of Europe

Lately I have become a huge fan of the Wall Street Journal.  They ran a recent article titled Cavest Emptor: Lover of Latin Try to Sell a Dead Languge.

The gist of the article was that Latin should become Europe’s Continental Language.  That it should be the basis of what ‘English’ does for the ‘United States’ today.   The article talks about “…a hard core of Latin enthusiasts say the language would foster a sense of European unity that’s have been lacking since the decline of the Holy Roman Empire…”

It is interesting idea.  An example of this I saw in a public television show called the ‘Pallisers”  This was an Anthony Trollope story about a family in England.  There was  a court case where a witness did not speak English, however, he studied to be a priest.  The Judge attended a British ‘public school’-‘public’ is the designator for an upper crust ‘private’ school where Latin would most certainly had been taught.  The Judge conducted the ‘cross-examination’ with the witness in Latin.  Cool.

Stephane Feye is a proponent for a European Union Language, a founder of a schoolhouse near Brussels, that requires 10 hours of Latin per week and updates the dead language for its students by teaching them modern terminology in the ‘old’ tongue:  students talk on their telephonis gestabilibus (cell phones) and do their lessons on their computatoria (computer).

Let’s face it, there is a certain ‘cool factor’ in having your own language.    Tell me that speakers of Española have not dropped into their own language when they want a certain amount of privacy from the English speakers.

I even saw a ‘spy TV movie’ where the hero spoke in Gaelic to his ‘spy master.’  What are the odds that anyone understanding Gaelic is even listening in… (the odds are low even though Gaelic and Welsh are experiencing a resurgence).

Think about it, if the European Union made the declaration that Latin was the language of ‘union’…purely used for governmental concerns of course…what a statement they would be making that their UNION has a history going back to early empire.    The European Union is here to stay.  Of course it won’t happen, but every country has instructors ready to implement the new law.  The are bastions of Latin speaker ready to take high positions in government.

DEUS SERVO EUROPEAN LUGUM [God save the European Union]

Did I get the translation correct?

Comments

• Re-Latinize Europe! | robertbyron22 · December 2, 2013 · 11:14 am

[…] Rogue Classicism, Ancient Rome Refocused endorses the call for making Latin the official language of the European Union. Strangely, there is […]

• Matthew Leigh Embleton · December 11, 2013 · 11:54 am

The Latinitas Foundation of the Vatican founded in 1976 has also created latin / latinised words for new things in a list called the ‘Léxicon Recentis Latinitatis’.

Latin has an amazing history.

The Renaissance Humanism movement in the 14th Century rejected what they saw as the lowering quality of Latin and how it had evolved away from its Classical roots. In doing so, it had actually taken on a much larger vocabulary from latinised loan words from other languages, even word order and grammar had begun to shift, and pronunciation varied depending on where you learnt it. They argued for a return ‘ad fontes’ to the source.

Apparently when Catharine of Aragon first met Henry VIII, they hoped to be able to communicate in Latin, but they couldn’t understand each others’ pronunciation.

Definitely not a dead language.

Deus salvare Unione Europaea

• Tofara Y Dube · February 23, 2014 · 12:47 am

I support the revival of Latin because I see the logic. Coincidentally I am working on starting a movement that advocates for one African language. How delightful for an African like me to be able to travel around Europe knowing that I have to learn only one language. How convenient it would be for a European to know that they can visit any African country and engage all Africans in one language. Good for commerce, good for friendship, good for intellectual pursuits. Keep it up, but do not underestimate the challenges.

• cell phone spy arsenal · September 14, 2014 · 9:33 am

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your wweb site, how could i subscribe for a blog
    web site? Thhe account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted
    of thios yiur broadcast provided bright clear concept

• best selling cell phone tracker and spy · September 14, 2014 · 10:38 am

This info is invaluable. How can I find out
    more?

• avangate spy cell phone · September 14, 2014 · 4:39 pm

These are really fantastic ideas in regarding blogging.
    You hve touched sokme fastidious factors here.
    Any way keep up wrinting.

• Marcia · September 14, 2014 · 4:48 pm

hello!,I really like your writing very a lot! share we be in contact extra about your article on AOL?
    I need a specialist on this house to resolve my problem.
    May be that’s you! Looking ahead to look you.